Monday, July 10, 2006

My friend Mary

Mary is the eldest female orphan at Grace Farm. She carries a lot of responsibility in the home and is a top student in her class. She is a quiet, introspective girl who I was drawn to from the start. Bronwyn had shared some of her tragic history with me and broke my heart, which was even more breakable than usual while on the African Continent. I won't tell Mary's story without her permission--let's just say that in her 15 years she has faced hardships and demons that most of us in the West never imagine. Yet she is a gentle and tender soul.
One day Mary was singing quietly as we worked with beads. I told Bronwyn about it later and she called it a breakthrough. Although Mary behaves impeccably and works hard she is been very closed emotionally and verbally to the missionaries. While I was there she not only began to sing aloud while working and doing crafts, but began to talk in the presence of the missionaries. We learned that she's knows more English than they thought and she was able to translate for me when Lazaro was not available.
The orphans are given a small piece of land each to farm each year. Mary worked very hard on hers in 2005 and earned enough money with her crop to purchase a bicycle. A child owning a bicycle is very significant. Most adults in the area do not own bicycles (much less cars). I had a difficult time letting her go when I had to say goodbye. She has written me since and I treasure her letter. She is a precious wounded soul in whose life God is doing beautiful work. I'm excited about her future. Her life is such a proclamation of grace, forgiveness and hope amidst seemingly impossible odds.


Mary (upper right) and others enjoy a snack of peanuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home