Saturday, July 17, 2010

Free Baptist Church in Kayaba Slum

Old blog post from June 2010

I had my first opportunity to worship with a Kenyan group of believers in June! I accompanied Debbie to Kayaba Slum, one of the largest slums in the world. Debbie is an inspiring lady who is actually one of my Doro team members, but currently stationed in Nairobi for health reasons. It was the most fascinating and pleasant day I spent in Nairobi during my time there in preparation for work in Sudan. I love to be with the people!
After the worship service (in which I had to speak three times--they believe in hearing from the guests) Debbie led a seminar on youth and children’s ministry. They then fed us chipati, ugali, beef and sukuma wiki. After the meal they turned to Debbie as an "elder" and asked many questions about leadership, conflict, sin and service in the church. It was absolutely amazing to be able to witness this part of the church leadership! It is very interesting the authority that they gave to Debbie as a missionary and a elder woman--she wasn't comfortable with the authority they gave her and referred them to the pastor at a few points. Wise lady.
Boy with umbilical hernia in Kayaba street
This is the view out one of the church doors--this young lady is talking on a mobile phone in the ditch
Children worship through dance at the beginning of the service.
What a cutie!
These girls loved seeing themselves on the camera
This is the water supply for residents of Kayaba
Alley near the church shelter
This was her face after she saw herself on my camera. Beautiful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home